Favourite Feature

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:55 pm

• (Just sparked by my mentioning this in another thread)

What's your favourite feature in chaos reborn so far? And what would you like to improve/change about it?

For me it's in game chat, I really like that you can talk with your opponents. And I'd improve it by making the chat window taller. (Something which either Agor or Mazy suggested earlier tonight).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:59 pm

• This is my favorite feature:

Julian Gollop @ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... ginal-x-co wrote:At the core of Chaos Reborn is the battle between wizards, fought in an arena with a limited selection of spells. The last wizard standing is declared the victor. Features include:

• Quick playing, turn-based combat. Battles typically last 10-30 minutes.

This feature has been eroded significantly as the prototype evolves, but I'm looking forward to its return. :)

One Theme to rule them all, One Theme to find them, One Theme to bring them all and in the Chaos bind them.
      NoWorries plays as Baldr, God of Wonder & Progress | Compete together with Baldr in the Order of Baldrlux
    NoWorries
    GOD

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:05 am

• I was thinking about that from what you said in another NoWorries. I came up with one idea that might help...

Ultimately I think 1v1 matches are mostly still done in less than 30 minutes but 1v1v1v1, 2v2 won't ever be.

Without setting a small turn timer there is just no way to force players to play quickly and not use the full amount of time they have available to consider every single spell and every single hex. In some 'important' games playing this way is more fun than being forced to make your move quickly then realising afterwards you had a much better option available.

One thing that I thought that could bridge the gap is possibly have x 'time-outs' per player. Maybe 3 or 4. So the default turn timer would be 1 minute, but you could use a 'time-out' and add 2(?) minutes to your turn time. This would increase the overall game speed but still give you the chance to really consider your key moves. The amount/length of timeouts could reduce based on the selected turn time. 2 minutes, timeout gives + 1 minute, only have 2. 3 minutes no timeouts for example.

My favourite feature that's been added is the Attack/Cast/Move fluidity. Absolutely love it compared to the first versions.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 am

• That's why I like things that speed up the game, v.19 was the worst iteration so far for me as every game and every turn took too long.

soon the draw new spell will happen at the end of your last turn instead of at the start of your new turn, I'm looking forward to this change as it will speed things up again, you'll be able to plan your turn much easier while it's your oppo's go.

edit - oh and my favourite feature so far, I actually like the retreat mechanic which seems to have split the community a bit.
    worto03

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 am

• Just stick to playing against me, I'll have you all beat in under 5 minutes! ;)

My favourite feature is the introduction of mana. I thought this would complicate the game too much but I think it really enhances it. Trying to balance burning spells to get out strong creatures at the start of the game and get your opponent on the ropes early versus not burning spells and having more in your armoury to use against your opponent in a longer game. Balancing saving mana to be able to use your mega spell which can often tip the balance of the game in your favour versus using mana every other turn to increase the chance of a successful cast. Balancing using mana on spells that are aligned with your staff and getting a better boost versus using mana on spells that aren't aligned with your staff but which you would rather have success with. Balancing summoning illusions so you are guaranteed of the mana but are vulnerable to the disbelieve spell versus summoning real creatures with the risk of gaining no mana if they are unsuccessful. Balancing being attack minded in the game to gain mana from kills versus playing it defensive and letting the other wizards take each other out while you remain safe.
    goldendragon76

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:38 am

• Yeah, burning cards to get mana has been my favourite feature. You're no longer quite so much at the mercy of the RNG:)
    Also, staffs are great, especially in 3-way and 4-way.
    For people who want shorter games, are you playing 1-minute turn times? A duel cannot last more than 40 minutes if you are, and should be over long before that:).
    RafiRomero

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:59 am

• RafiRomero wrote:For people who want shorter games, are you playing 1-minute turn times? A duel cannot last more than 40 minutes if you are, and should be over long before that:).

Yes, 1 minute turn times should be the default!
    Tess
    GOD

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:35 pm

• The problem with a one-minute turn time is that when you have more than four or five creatures on the board, you don't get the chance to move them all unless you're playing like lightning.

I link to this every time, but I still believe this is the way to go. Start with a small time limit when there is nothing to do, increase it when there is lots to do.

(There's some irony in the way I was berated for that timer being "too harsh" when now people want one minute timers...)
    Image Ace of Spades
    (my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
    XBL | YT
    2D or 3D artists, translators needed!
    DigitalDuck

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 pm

• DigitalDuck wrote:The problem with a one-minute turn time is that when you have more than four or five creatures on the board, you don't get the chance to move them all unless you're playing like lightning.

I link to this every time, but I still believe this is the way to go. Start with a small time limit when there is nothing to do, increase it when there is lots to do.

Personally I play fast so one minute isn't a problem - in fact it's kinda fun having the pressure. But I also like this idea of having a timer that resets slightly whenever you move something. Just keeps everyone ticking along. I tend to avoid PvP because of the loooong delays in waiting for other turns. Unless I'm chatting or playing 4 games at once.
    Tess
    GOD

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:00 pm

• I don't think a "public/ random" default of 1 minute would be very good, it would be daunting for new players.
    Tess, you should be able to find plenty of people happy to play 1-minute games @ http://client.lawandchaos.co.uk/ - it isn't just for tournaments, it is a good way to find "friendly" games ("friendly", like in DayZ:).
    I'm trying to work towards being able to play 1-minute duels well. I find it harder in 4-ways, just more to think about:)
    Anyway, other favourite feature is the deck along the bottom of the screen: I know it hasn't altered the actual game mechanics at all, but it just looks and feels so good:)
    RafiRomero

Next

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information