Do you think mqgic bow is worth casting?

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
RafiRomero

Do you think mqgic bow is worth casting?

Post by RafiRomero » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:29 pm

In a game yesterday, my opponent said he always burned it. I realised I wish I did. 33% vs a zombie feels rather sad for a 60% cast. I think either a return to range 4 (so you can shoot without being counterpunched) or a higher cast percentage would make me happy. I'd prefer the range increase: Wizard already has range 4 with blob. I don't mind so much the low default strength if it had something else going for it. Every game I've had it since it was needed it has felt disappointing.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Do you think mqgic bow is worth casting?

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:09 pm

I still cast it, though I burn the 2nd one now. I like that you've got some element of ranged attack, and it acts as an disincentive to opponents who might otherwise close with you.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:20 am

It is hard to tell what the finished game will be like, but at the moment the bow is underpowered in relation to its range and its strength. I often burn it. It is the new dwarf.
PRETENAMA

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:21 am

Yes, the magic bow remains worthwhile. It's a very powerful buff. That people sometimes elect not to cast it is a good thing. There should be no spell that everyone should want to cast every time it pops up. Each spell should have its pluses and minuses.

Obsilium

Post by Obsilium » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:12 am

If I enough space for a "free" cast, then a bow is a reasonable option if available. It is always a small plus to be able to fire at a creature that walks three hexes away from you, and then retreat. My game against Julian Gollop from the recent Gollop Wallop was a good example of what the bow can do, I recall killing two hellhounds with it.
////// T S U R T //////
/// I ///////////// E ///
/// N //////////// W //
//// RECURRENCE //

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 am

I cast it if I have nothing better to do but I'm rarely use it.

If the game swings heavily to law then I'll cast it, but if it's a chaos match then there's generally no way I'll use mana to boost it as I don't think it's worth it, if I can afford for a spell to fail then I might take a punt on it. It also depends whether I have other weapons.

I wouldn't mind if the range went back up to 4, the chance of killing anything with it is pretty low and with a 60% cast chance it doesn't feel value for money.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:27 am

I think the great power of the bow is in killing undead at range, or in trying to free creatures from blobs without getting next to the blob. It's not overpowered any more but I still feel slightly safer when I have it because it makes other wizards think twice before coming into range. I think it's a neat spell because it's like a permanent (low power) magic bolt option - especially against undead. It's weaker, yes, but you can shoot every turn. I actually think it's pretty balanced right now. Range 4 would of course make it significantly stronger, and perhaps that might be the result of casting two bows.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:07 pm

Tess wrote:I think the great power of the bow is in killing undead at range, or in trying to free creatures from blobs without getting next to the blob. It's not overpowered any more but I still feel slightly safer when I have it because it makes other wizards think twice before coming into range. I think it's a neat spell because it's like a permanent (low power) magic bolt option - especially against undead. It's weaker, yes, but you can shoot every turn. I actually think it's pretty balanced right now. Range 4 would of course make it significantly stronger, and perhaps that might be the result of casting two bows.
+1

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Tess wrote:I think the great power of the bow is in killing undead at range
I agree. It's also an extra free attack every round. I definitely cast bow when I have it. I would be neutral with increasing the attack power by one, but I definitely think increasing the range would be too much.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:19 am

RafiRomero wrote:In a game yesterday, my opponent said he always burned it. I realised I wish I did. 33% vs a zombie feels rather sad for a 60% cast.
It's 33% every turn, and that's what makes it good.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!