Update on version 0.21

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Julian Gollop
Site Admin

Update on version 0.21

Post by Julian Gollop » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi all,
I thought I would give you an update on the next release of Chaos Reborn, since version 0.21 has been rather long in gestation. The main new feature of the game is the asynchronous game play mode. This allows you to play against other players when they are offline. Games may take several days to complete, and each player has a 'chess clock' style timer which counts down during his/her turn. The timer will be set to 10 days by default, but private game timers can be set to 4, 7 or 10 days. The system is now working, but we have a few interface issues to clean up.
The second main feature is the introduction of 'mana sprites'. These are placed on a map at the start and can be picked up by wizards to gain 25 mana points. The reasoning behind this is to give players some intermediate map based objectives that encourage more combative play. It certainly makes an interesting difference!
The retreat system will be removed, because I don't think it adds anything meaningful to the game play, and the hat of time will also be retired. On a more minor note, the mana points gained for spell casting will now be awarded when the spell fails and not when it succeeds. This represents the wizard sucking back a little bit of energy from the failed spell as it dissipates. In game terms it acts as a bit of a balancer.
The art team have been making great strides, so look forward to seeing fully animated elves, eagles, gooey blobs, tangle vines and sapphire dragons. There will also be some interface improvements, including a selection cycling button/key and a much improved ownership marker and active indicator for creatures.

NoWorries
GOD

Re: Update on version 0.21

Post by NoWorries » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:08 pm

This all sounds great! I look forward to play-testing it.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:35 pm

Can't wait to try it out. :)
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:34 pm

Loving the game so far and looking forward to this latest version.

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Thank you so much! These all sound like solid steps in the right direction. I am glad that retreat and the hat of time have been removed. Gaining mana points for failed spells rather than successful ones is an excellent idea. I'm not sure about the mana sprites mechanic (and 25 seems high), but I look forward to seeing it play tested.

Can't wait for the new animations! I've loved all the art work so far, particularly the elf. The only thing I might suggest: some of the "at rest" animations seem too frantic. I'd make the "repeat loop" happen less often, if that makes sense.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

Fluke
DEMIGOD

Post by Fluke » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:37 am

Sounds like a great update, and the asynchronous mode is a very nice addition. Looking forward to it :)

Incarnadine

Post by Incarnadine » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:51 am

Sounds great. I think the mana sprites will be very cool i can imagine the foolhardy lengths i and many others will be going to in order to get our hands on them. But if they happen to be near one wizard it could create an imbalance. Perhaps if you needed to release the mana in different ways. Some by attack, some by fire, some by leaving your wizard on the spot (like magic wood). A mana sprite might be encased in crystal and have hit points you might spend a few turns trying to mine the mana only to be bullied away by another wizard who steals your prize. There are lots of interesting options that could be considered. ☺
PRETENAMA

Tess
GOD

Post by Tess » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:20 am

Looking forward to these changes!

I like the idea of mana sprites. Otherwise there's a temptation to turtle up in the corner until one has a strong enough force to risk attacking. The bonus has to be enough to justify the risk though.

I like that only the wizard can pick up the mana sprites. High risk!

It would appear to give a significant advantage to the first player if the mana sprites appear at the start of the game. Perhaps the mana sprite could appear at a random time and place (ie you've no idea whose turn it will be when the next sprite appears)?

Not particularly sad to see the retreat thing go away. It was a clunky mechanic. We still could use a way of making agility more interesting though. There were plenty of interesting suggestions about that on the thread about retreating. I still like the idea that if an attack fails, it might still 'stun' the defender based on agility values so that the defender can't attack (or perhaps can't move) in its next round.

Not bothered by hat of time disappearing either. I guess that means we need another purpose for headgear?

Really looking forward to seeing fully animated dragons!

Regarding asynchronous play, how will the game handle when someone starts a game but never gets round to taking their first turn? Will their opponent(s) simply have to wait ten days for them to time out? Bit tedious but I don't see what else you can do. I very much like the idea of asynchronous play as it means I don't have to wait for others to take their turn but can play 10 games at once. I assume chat messages will be sent along with our turn?

I do like that failed spells now generate mana. I assume this means illusions will now never generate mana when cast, which seems like a good solution to that problem. Do wizards get mana for disbelieving illusions? I've never checked. It feels like they should.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for the update on where we're at, I'm sure we all knew that this would take a bit longer as it's going to be a big one, but it is really great to get communication about what's going on. :-)

Re: Mana sprites, I like the thought of there just being one per game, and it being plonked right in the middle of the map where nobody really wants to go.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:26 am

Taking the mana sprites idea further - Could you have a mode which takes the concept further:

All wizards start near the centre of the map and with no spells, the spells themselves are scattered around the map and must be picked up in order to cast them, the more powerful spells are near the centre i.e. Magic Bolt, and the weaker spells are at the exterior. It gives the player a real decision at the start of the game, do they go inwards to try get an advantage, or outwards to get somewhere safe?

You could also have additional spell drops during the game, maybe some environmental effects to change the map, and the potential for 2 wizards to make an alliance meaning that if they were the last 2 standing that they didn't have to kill each other, Woody Harrelson could pop up occasionally and give drunken advice ;-)

Joking aside, I think it'd be a pretty cool, especially for an 8 player mode.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.