Update on version 0.21

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
goldendragon76

Re: Update on version 0.21

Post by goldendragon76 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 am

Mana sprites sound interesting but I think they would make the game more luck than skill oriented as if they appear on a random hex it could be placed right next to one wizard giving the other wizard no chance of getting there first. In the end I guess it all comes down to how much you want the winner of the game to be decided by skill and how much by luck. Would you want the stronger player to beat the weaker player 90% or 60% of the time?
I remember the month when hats were in play, the games were very unbalanced and it did give weaker players a much better chance of beating stronger players. The duel tournament for that month could have been won by about 10 different players it was that open. In one of the previous months where there was no equipment at all the top 2 players secured 19 out of a possible 20 points. Anyone coming to the tournament late in the month would know that they would be out of the running after a single loss!
I guess it is just about getting the balance right, you would not want every game to be 50/50 no matter how much practice you put in but on the other hand it is nice when an underdog gets a bit of luck and beats a very skilled player.

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:50 am

Julian Gollop wrote:The second main feature is the introduction of 'mana sprites'. These are placed on a map at the start and can be picked up by wizards to gain 25 mana points. The reasoning behind this is to give players some intermediate map based objectives that encourage more combative play. It certainly makes an interesting difference!

this sounds like they won't be appearing randomly throughout the game but only placed on the board at the start. Which might mean for a 4 player game there is 1 fairly near each starting position and maybe 1 in the middle of the map for some brave sole to paint a target on their head for.

for a 2 player game it would be nice to see an odd number dotted around, either 3 or 5, to create the same kind of focal points for battle and movement.

Julian Gollop wrote:The art team have been making great strides, so look forward to seeing fully animated .... gooey blobs ....

And no one else has mentioned this in 3 pages of posts "FULLY ANIMATED GOOEY BLOBS!!!" where's my v0.21 god dammit!

I do still have a slight concern that the sprites will make burn/mount/rush the best tactic and staff of speed/mounts overpowered, but we'll see how it plays. can't wait.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

RafiRomero

Post by RafiRomero » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I am also very excited about blob animation - even more excited to see if the graphic has changed at all. I want the blob to make me feel ill when I look at it. I want animations for all blobbed creatures that make them look nauseous:D I want to feel like I need a shower after casting blob:)
Mana sprites sound cool, like Meld in XCOM:)

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Sephorin wrote:
Tess wrote:It would appear to give a significant advantage to the first player if the mana sprites appear at the start of the game. Perhaps the mana sprite could appear at a random time and place (ie you've no idea whose turn it will be when the next sprite appears)?

This was one of the concerns I had about the mana sprites... and I think Tess has addressed it nicely! I hope her mechanic is included. I also think it would be neat to see some of Incarnadine's mana sprite "mining" ideas at some point.

I'm not sure that it does give advantage to the first player, I think it depends on placement.
If a mana sprite is bang in the middle of a map then advancing in order to reach it potentially opens you up to attack.

I like the though of mana sprites being colour coordinated, the red wizard's sprites are placed next to the blue wizard's starting point, the blue wizards's sprites are next to the green wizard's starting point etc

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Colour coded sprites does sound good. Sounds a bit like a 'capture the base' type mechanic where you would have to attack the area containing your coloured sprite but at the same time defend the area containing the enemy coloured sprite.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the animated gooey blob. It would be nice if any blobbed up creatures were shown to be folornly trying to fight their way free.

Beamster
GOD

Post by Beamster » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

A variation on the mana sprite theme could be the introduction of a Mana Bird or Enchanted Emu. This timid creature would randomly appear in the middle of the board and try it's best to avoid capture. The bird would be weak but very swift and nimble. If captured or killed it would drop a mana egg worth 50 mana points. If not captured the cheeky bird would vanish after 3 to 5 turns.
Attachments
Roadrunner.gif
Roadrunner.gif (4.52 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Fiat lux

SteamID: Beamster72

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:06 pm

Some arenas will have shrines. Perhaps as a special perk at Beamster shrines, sacrifice of a particular thing (lion?) will summon a phoenix which will fly around the arena. And the Wizard who slays the phoenix gets a bit o' mana. :mrgreen:

Beamster
GOD

Post by Beamster » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:39 pm

No worries, i like your idea!

Perhaps the enchanted emu is ravenousness, so it seeks out and devours the mana sprites which makes the bird worth even more mana points if captured or slayed. Maybe the mana sprites could be used as a way to lure the greedy bird into your clutches.
Fiat lux

SteamID: Beamster72

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 pm

I will support the enchanted emu idea so long as said emu looks exactly like the Road Runner.

Leester

Post by Leester » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 pm