Cobra strike

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am

• Was posting about agility, but I thought this would be a cool ability for the as-yet non-existent Cobra:
    If you melee the cobra, it gets a chance to bite you in your turn either before you attack, or immediately after your failed attack (so you'd want to engage at long range ideally). Maybe make it agility dependent. In its turn, it can also move and attack as ususal.
    I guess it might not be super-intuitive to new players though..
    RafiRomero

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

• That sounds a very nice idea, Rafi. My only concern is that it would make the cobra too strong, but I have to remind me that this is Chaos Reborn, not Chaos. In Chaos, the cobra was attack 4 and defence 1, meaning it was relatively dangerous attacking but had the worst possible defence. It was one of those creatures where you had to make sure you attacked first, since otherwise the cobra would most likely die and not get to attack at all.

I really think it makes perfect sense for a cobra to have an ability like you suggest. Let's see what Julian thinks... I'm not even sure the cobra has been mentioned yet in Chaos Reborn.
    Who's that riding across the plain?
    Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
    Who's the man who's plumb insane?
    Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!
    Kahangriel
    GOD

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 am

• Pre-emptive strike ability. Maybe when attacked it attacks first but with only half original attack value?

could apply to a small number of other creatures too

might be a nice ability to be able to assign to head gear or wherever the abilities will fit in
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 am

• This does sound good for a King Cobra ability but I am a bit concerned about the number of abilities being given out to creatures. I know most people come on here asking for more creature abilities but I worry that giving every other creature an ability would take some of the simplicity away from the game. Having a creature with a very low defence and very high attack would probably make the creature unique enough without an ability being added.

I would never say have no creature abilities at all, after all having a creature that can fly or use ranged combat could be considered an ability and these were in the original Chaos. I just think they should only be added if they really add something to the gameplay rather than just being an unused gimmick that does nothing other than add another rule that would need to be explained to a newcomer.

There are a few abilities in the game now that I feel are not used or do not add anything to the gameplay. I have never used the dwarf's shatter ability or seen it used against me or anyone else. I often forget about the vampire's leech ability as well. If I have a vampire vs a wizard with 2 goblins at his side I would never think 'attack the 2 goblins first to increase my powers and then go after the harder to kill wizard'. In the space of 2 turns I know that the situation would probably be completely different, my vampire would be subverted/disbelieved and the enemy wizard would be mounted and at the other side of the map ready to bolt me in the face. I would take an immediate 50% kill on the enemy wizard every time rather than try to bide my time and increase it to 70%. Maybe the leech ability should give a larger bonus with each kill to make it more worthwhile or maybe it is just my play style and other people will say they use leech and shatter to good effect all the time!
    goldendragon76

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:27 am

• yeah, as GD said, the addition of new abilities does need to be carefully considered (although it's still fun to throw them into that hat for consideration).

Regarding dwarf shatter I've used it a few times and when you pull it off it can totally change a game. Also I think the threat of shatter being used makes wizards behave differently around dwarves which is possibly can be used as as much of a strength as being able to actually get rid of the equipment.

with a vampire leech is on my mind from the second I cast it, especially when there is a blob or a shadow wood around. It also effects which creatures I cast when a vampire is on the board, for example NO Rat packs!

I like the way that abilities can be as much of a passive threat as being able to actually use them to their full potential.
    Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk
    Ped209

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 pm

• I've used and like the Shatter ability, although I probably wouldn't miss it if it was gone (giving the dwarf a ranged attack was a great move, though, I actually use dwarves now).
    Vampire leech ability is great, I'll usually save a vampire until there is some blob or low-end creatures to buff it. I only really ever cast vampire with a view to using leech. It is a bit difficult, however, it does feel like I spend a while buffing my vampire only to have it magic attacked:)
    RafiRomero

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:46 pm

• goldendragon76 wrote:.. or maybe it is just my play style and other people will say they use leech and shatter to good effect all the time!

I use leech and shatter to good effect all the time ;-)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:13 pm

• goldendragon76 wrote:I know most people come on here asking for more creature abilities but I worry that giving every other creature an ability would take some of the simplicity away from the game.

That is an excellent point, but I do not feel we are there yet. Special abilities like the eagle's swoop attack and the giant's rock make the game more interesting for me.

As for leech and shatter: I have definitely used shatter and the threat of shatter. I have seen others use leech to good effect. Leech is not all that powerful by itself, but it's important to remember that a vampire is a flying undead creature. That in itself makes the thing very strong, in my opinion. I would certainly discourage any buff of leech because the vampire is already strong enough.
    Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.
    Sephorin
    GOD

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm

• How about giving the Cobra a hypnotize ability, where melee attacks have a chance of hypnotizing an enemy creature so that you gain control of it for a game turn?
    Attachments
    hypno fiend.jpg
    hypno fiend.jpg (15.16 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
    Leester

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

• I quite like creatures having unique abilities. It makes it more interesting, unpredictable and adds to the strategic valve of the game.
    Ordo ab Chao
    Hiramabiff

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information