v.21 - Asynchronous Games - the good, the bad and the ugly

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: v.21 - Asynchronous Games - the good, the bad and the ug

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:05 am

I quite like having all my past games available to view, so I wouldn't want to see them disappear automatically. I'd prefer Ped's suggestion of a discard button, or better still an option to archive old games.

With the prototype, would be lose all our saved/current matches when the server resets and we go back to game ID number 1 again?.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 am

It'd be good if you could cancel private games when your opponent hasn't yet accepted the challenge - I've one that's been sat 'waiting for players' for 9 games now. (I know I could just give the ID and password to someone else.)

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Beamster
GOD

Post by Beamster » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 am

At first, I was a reluctant to try asynchronous mode, thinking it an unnecessary feature but now it is my preferred play choice. It's great to log on everyday and see a list of games ready to continue with.

Perhaps it would be useful to have a 'New Move' icon on the main menu screen or an global screen alert to highlight that it is your turn in a current game. It is a nuisance to keep having to check the asynchronous screen.
Fiat lux

SteamID: Beamster72

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:27 am

SpiteAndMalice wrote:With the prototype, would be lose all our saved/current matches when the server resets and we go back to game ID number 1 again?.

I think that seems pretty likely, yes. But couldn't say for sure, suppose it depends how big the changes are.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:38 pm

SpiteAndMalice wrote:I quite like having all my past games available to view, so I wouldn't want to see them disappear automatically. I'd prefer Ped's suggestion of a discard button, or better still an option to archive old games.

This is a valid approach. I'm not opposed to players being able to hoard records of as many completed games as they can handle. But I don't want to have to manually delete the records myself. Ideally, players could customize the expiration date of completed games anywhere from immediately after seeing the results, to 1 week later, to never, etc.

Not really trying, I have 27 completed matches and 20 active or pending matches. I've achieved this despite having a few matches going nowhere which I can't escape. Once the asynch system improves and the player base increases, I can see players amassing dozens or more completed asynch matches in a week. Players who wish to hoard their game results for their grandchildren could amass thousands of matches within a year of gameplay. Independent of who is paying to store records of all these games, the current format for listing old games is fairly useless. E.g., imagine trying to sort through hundreds or thousands of old games when all the information available without entering the old match is Game ID, the time since the last activity, how many turns the game lasted, and what sort of match it was.

So, if we're going to enable historical game record hoarding (which is not a bad thing to permit if resources allow), then we'll need a more manageable database to screen the records.

Perhaps a better compromise is to allow players to download copies of the matches they want to preserve.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Alternatively, the much simpler option of a button marked "CLEAR COMPLETED GAMES".
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:16 am

That works, too. :mrgreen:

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:53 am

I still love asynch, but another item for improvement: 3 and 4 player games still take up your match quota even after you've lost so long as other players are still engaged in the match. I played the first wizard killed in a 4 player match... this death occurred a number of days ago... and I'd like my match quota back. Thank you very much, please. :)

goldendragon76

Post by goldendragon76 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:08 am

If the chess clock system is kept I think it would be better if the default number of days matched the number of turns so a 20 turn game would have a 20 day timer, etc.
This would ensure that as long as you got one turn played per day you would never run out of time. At the moment if you are playing a game and the player before you makes their turn at what for you is 2am you lose 18 hours of your time each turn when you make your turn at 8pm the next day.

I also agree that the replays are done too quickly for you to digest what is going on. I remember seeing one replay where it looked as if a wizard moved and mounted a manticore before it had even been summoned. I think there needs to be a small pause inbetween each action so you can digest what has just happened before the next action kicks in and leave the spell cast/failed message onscreen for longer too. If this is the speed games will be played at in matches against the A.I then their actions will need to be slowed down as well otherwise you will be forever replaying moves step by step.

I am enjoying the async games though, a lot more than I thought I would. I like going to bed with a game in my head pondering what my next move should be.
I'm hoping that this game will eventually be made to work on mobiles and tablets as I think async games in particular are perfect for these platforms.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:52 am

I'm soon to win a 4 person FFA because my opponents lost all of their time. Frankly, I wished they had timed out sooner so that I could get my asynch quota back. That was 5% of my asynch capacity squandered for about three weeks.

I like the earlier suggestion of both a turn clock and a match clock that counts down. This way, turn clocks could be 1-2 days, while match clocks could by at least a day for every turn. Running out of time on either clock causes a forfeit.

Also, I still would like the ability to surrender a match at any time and reclaim the asynch quota.