Meteor Shower kill mana

Report any bugs you find here. Include the steps for reproducing it if you can, and the version number.
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:36 am

• I've been aware of this 'bug' for a while but haven't reported it due to it actually making sense within the game's mechanics.. despite it possibly being unintended behavior, I kinda want to believe that it isn't a bug and is in fact intended.

When your meteors strike a bunch of targets, versus enemy targets and your own casts, you receive mana for anything that is killed in the strike, including mana from any of your own casts that are destroyed in the process.

On first discovering this I thought 'hmm, bug'.. but then I figured well actually it's quite interesting, the whole concept of targeted your own creatures in the first place is interesting (when trying to free them from traps etc).

Thematically It makes sense that whatever a wizard directly kills (even his own casts) would release mana back to the wizard, a kill is a kill (and it requires RNG, unlike a dispel.. so it's not 'free mana').. mana was used to cast the thing, so when it dies it releases mana.

There is no exploit where you would willingly kill one of your own casts just to gain some mana in return, creature cards in your deck are too precious to willingly just kill them after they have successfully cast, killing your own casts would only occur in desperate situations.. so there's nothing game breaking about receiving mana for accidentally sacrificing your own..

..if anything it makes you think more about the targeting process. Therefore it's just another case of an unintended behavior turning out to be more interesting tactically than it would have been if it had worked the other way.

So if it is a bug, it's not really one that needs fixing IMO.. I would leave it how it is just to give meteor shower (a weakish spell against moving targets) a bit of an added dimension..

When you think about how massively underused meteor cascade is in MP, knowing that you can yield mana from everything that you kill with it might just be enough to make it an appealing mega-spell one day..

..If it takes 60+ mana to charge up what is essentially just 2 single meteor shower spells, with its current behavior there would at least be the chance for some mana compensation for missing enemy units and losing some of your own units in the process.
    Mazy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am

• worto03 wrote:I'm OK with the mana but last night did you get VP's for killing your own creatures?

Yep lol that is potentially problematic. That is more of a VP's thing than a mana thing. If I had sacrificed that rat in a normal game the outcome would have been - one creature lost, 3 mana gained.. but because VP's were on I also gained 3 VP's..

..if there was a way to separate VP's from mana points when 'friendly fire' is concerned that might be one way to patch it.

VP's mess up a great many of the mechanics in Chaos, this would just be another one to add to the list.

I suspect the bug will be fixed so that no potential VP exploit exists.. but I would say just scrap VP's then the 'bug' wouldn't be noticeable lol
    Mazy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 am

• A fix for this will appear in the next update.
    You'll get mana, but no VP.
    CGR
    SNAPSHOT DEV

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 pm

Return to Bug Reports

Information