map making tip: use marauders for 2 ai opponents

For Wizard Kings (and higher) to discuss the Realm Editor and the creation of realms.
anjovi

map making tip: use marauders for 2 ai opponents

Post by anjovi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:03 am

so was just playing with the tools and found that if:

-you don't have any strategic locations (villages/fluxes/citadels) on route
-theres only 1 path way
-a wizard lord on the choke point

the marauder AI will stop on the tile with the lord so you can get a match against 2 ai going.

might test it out with flux/citadel/village placements later to see if there are any other little behaviors that come out of it but if your looking to make a more challenging realm this could be a means of doing it.

gary
DEMIGOD

Re: map making tip: use marauders for 2 ai opponents

Post by gary » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 am

stil think marauders should be removed from realms or at least optional when designing them as they add nothing to the realms beyond being deepily annoying with their homing in nature. Which to me feels deeply tacky and forced. Such behaviour is called stalking not marauding :)
R Tape loading error, 0:1

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

garyuk wrote:stil think marauders should be removed from realms or at least optional when designing them as they add nothing to the realms beyond being deepily annoying with their homing in nature. Which to me feels deeply tacky and forced. Such behaviour is called stalking not marauding :)
+1

The marauder trick is certainly a good spot Anjovi, but I'd rather be able to just set 2 Wizard Lords down on a Hex in the first place.

In generally marauders annoy the hell out of me to the point that I stop enjoying playing the realm once they start appearing.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Part of me is starting to wish you could just preset all of the stuffs (wizard amount, reinforcement amount, etc.)
Be curious to see how things progress.

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:11 pm

anjovi wrote:the marauder AI will stop on the tile with the lord so you can get a match against 2 ai going.
Oh yeah I've seen that happen, it caught me out actually, it proved harder than the palace battle if I recall. I think it was a tiny mountain map and both AI's had mercs, and they were spamming undeads, I had nada, quite a challenge (in a good way).

I guess some battles should be overwhelmingly difficult occasionally (kinda like being on a terror mission, surrounded, down to your last man, and down to your last bullet...true story).

Actually It might be cool if the marauder stayed neutral in some cases where they intercept you at a lord battle (rather than act as an ally). Then those type of battles would be a 1v1v1, the marauders are pirates, they just want the loot so they try to take the lords scalp as well.

This way you get another battle variant type in to realms, 1v1/2v1/2v2 and 1v1v1.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 pm

anjovi wrote:Part of me is starting to wish you could just preset all of the stuffs (wizard amount, reinforcement amount, etc.)
Be curious to see how things progress.
+1 It'd be far easier to work with and you could make a lot more interesting stuff that way too.

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Mazy wrote:
This way you get another battle variant type in to realms, 1v1/2v1/2v2 and 1v1v1.
+1 for that too. Realms definitely need some spice and varying the battle types would be a good way to do it.

anjovi

Post by anjovi » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:39 pm

While the ideas are being put out there! Neutral creatures! :D

Mazy

Post by Mazy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh yes, good one, 'neutral creatures', I forgot about that one. Battlescape creatures that are unattached to either wizard (therefore subvertable). This idea got lost along the way.