Timers in Custom

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:05 pm

• How do the timers work in custom?

It seems like 10,20 days, etc. are combined for teams and possibly total for individuals. It seemed like I had 10 days total of turn time instead of time between turns in a recent game. I timed out today having played all my custom turns as of yesterday.

I had assumed that turn timers meant time elapsing between turns not as total time like chess.
    Glas Masv, Child of the Light-Eater, Ascendent Metamorphic Singularity; MastrMynd of Hegemony

Join Hegemony! Original PvP/Realm/Lore Guild.

Send a PM or contact Glas Masv aka GlassJaw in-game or on Discord to Apply.
    Glas Masv

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 pm

• Yeah, for custom games it's a time bank (like chess). 10, 20, or 30 days in total. I generally find that setting 20 days works best in giving a balance between time outs and people going awol.

I feel your pain though, I get the opposite problem in that I time out of the league game setup up where it's 2 days per turn. I think one system works for some, and the other system works for others, it's a shame that you can't set it either way for both league and custom formats... (and it's not really explained anywhere in game).

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am

• I'd love for timers to have more flexibility (even if it has improved since the first versions of the game).
    Lately I just slap on the 30 days timer to games, because timing out is so disappointing for everyone.
    But Ideally, I'd prefer something like "at least a move per week to keep on the game". After all, most of us are not in a rush to finish games quicker; it's just that we don't want to be stuck forever when someone quits the game long-term.
    clef

Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:30 pm

• I think the days per player setup strains on 25 and 30 turn games. 30 turns means if you play once a day you can't afford to miss one day if everyone else plays once per day and play to the last turn. 2 days per turn doesn't let you take 3 or more days off, but you potentially have 60 days to play 30 turns. It means that as long as I play regularly I am guaranteed to not have a time crunch towards the end. Days per player seems to often result in time crunches in protracted games.

If X days per turn were adjustable in Custom games that would allow for casual turn frequency and ample time at the end of 25 turn and 30 turn and Infinite turn Custom games.
    Glas Masv, Child of the Light-Eater, Ascendent Metamorphic Singularity; MastrMynd of Hegemony

Join Hegemony! Original PvP/Realm/Lore Guild.

Send a PM or contact Glas Masv aka GlassJaw in-game or on Discord to Apply.
    Glas Masv

Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm

• Glas Masv wrote:I think the days per player setup strains on 25 and 30 turn games. 30 turns means if you play once a day you can't afford to miss one day if everyone else plays once per day and play to the last turn.

The timebank in custom games only runs down when it's your turn to play next.

So in practice, if you take a turn at 08 00, you'll only start losing time from whatever point the opponent moving before you takes their turn. If they don't make a move until 20 00 and then you don't move until 08 00 the following morning then you'll only lose 12 hours per turn from your time bank.

You can certainly lose more, if you were unlucky enough that your opponent moves at 08 01 everyday, then you'll lose 23 hours and 59 minutes per turn, but you'd be looking at that happening for each of 30 turns in order to be timing out of a 30 turn game if you played once per day.

In practice I find that the timebank system gives a lot of flexibility. To give a specific example, I went away for a fortnight in the middle of some games that I'm playing currently, I lost upto 14 days from my timebank whilst that was happening, and I did timeout of a couple of the shorter timebank games. But with the others I've able to continue playing all be it playing a couple of times per day, and I'm still in those games. The timebank lets games run over a few months in such a way that player can take an extended break if need be.

I think the downside if anything with the timebank is players going awol. It's one thing waiting 2 days for a timeout the happen in that case, but a 30 day wait is horrendeous... You just have to ignore the game and concentrate on others, but I wish there was some way around this.

Don't get me wrong, I do think there should be 2 day option for custom games, anything that gets people playing custom is good in my book, but personally I'd never play that option because I do take a short break at least once per month, and Friday morning to Sunday evening often means time outs in the 2 day system.

I'd love to see us get the change both ways, 2 days for custom would bring players in there, and timebanks for league would bring other players (like me) into competitive games.

I also wouldn't mind at all if there were an infinite time limit option for custom games. Especially when playing people I know, I'd rather they had whatever time they need to make turns than timing out for any reason.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.
    SpiteAndMalice
    DEMIGOD

Return to Gameplay Discussion

Information