Update on version 0.21

Discussion and questions about the latest version of Chaos Reborn. Not for bugs, but for comments about the game play.
SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Re: Update on version 0.21

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 am

With the asynchronous play, would we have the possibility to play in consecutive games? If so, waiting for the other person to move becomes less of an issue in that you've hopefully got another game which is running a bit faster.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Ped209

Post by Ped209 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:46 am

all sounds good, the sprites will add an interesting dynamic, and certainly increase the chance of early combat. Will be interesting to see the effect it has on some of the staffs balancing though, ie speed/mounts might get a big boost in desirability (they were already my 2 of my favourites).

one things on the async play that wasn't mentioned that is interesting: You can play async matches as live matches, ie if everyone is logged in then it plays just like a normal game (except for huge turn timers) so chat etc will still be as it was. Would be great for those situations where a game is taking longer than expected and people have to leave, it can be finished the next night or whenever.

I didn't mind the retreat system as a concept but with the current kill %'s it was making it too difficult overall to kill the wizard. I am looking forward to more death though, so not entirely disappointed to see it go.

Glad the hat of time is going, was pretty annoying when you thought you had your opponent beaten but them some late game mega spell came along just because they had survived long enough and meant a kill was no longer obtainable.

can't wait. The necessary changes have been made to the tournament client so it will be ready to support async matches for all tournament modes from day 1.
Chaos Reborn Community/Tournament Website: http://www.lawandchaos.co.uk

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm sad to see the retreat system go, because I think it could've been interesting given some reworking; that said, it didn't work as is, so given the choice between leaving it alone and removing it I'd have picked the latter.

Asynchronous gameplay will probably be my main method, seeing as I somehow struggle to find the time to play anymore. And at least it's a lot more difficult to waste someone's time when they're not required to put aside any time. :D
Image Ace of Spades
(my latest Dragon Coins rare creature)
XBL | YT
2D or 3D artists, translators needed!

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Tess wrote:It would appear to give a significant advantage to the first player if the mana sprites appear at the start of the game. Perhaps the mana sprite could appear at a random time and place (ie you've no idea whose turn it will be when the next sprite appears)?
This was one of the concerns I had about the mana sprites... and I think Tess has addressed it nicely! I hope her mechanic is included. I also think it would be neat to see some of Incarnadine's mana sprite "mining" ideas at some point.
Sephorin, living in service to the Goddess Ariianrhod since April, 1204.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Sephorin wrote:
Tess wrote:It would appear to give a significant advantage to the first player if the mana sprites appear at the start of the game. Perhaps the mana sprite could appear at a random time and place (ie you've no idea whose turn it will be when the next sprite appears)?
This was one of the concerns I had about the mana sprites... and I think Tess has addressed it nicely! I hope her mechanic is included. I also think it would be neat to see some of Incarnadine's mana sprite "mining" ideas at some point.
My only concern about "mining" is that it could potentially encourage turtling on it. Apart from that, I like having the sprite appear at a random time. Otherwise the player to move first would probably have a good advantage.
Who's that riding across the plain?
Who's lost count of the foes he's slain?
Who's the man who's plumb insane?
Kahangriel! Kahangriel! Kahangriel!

SpiteAndMalice
DEMIGOD

Post by SpiteAndMalice » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:13 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:I'm sad to see the retreat system go, because I think it could've been interesting given some reworking; that said, it didn't work as is, so given the choice between leaving it alone and removing it I'd have picked the latter.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to see it as a creature trait (The goblin perhaps) or as a piece of specific wizard equipment.

The Guild of the Cephalopods is now recruiting - We embrace all.

- Chief Tentacle Arranger in The Guild of the Cephalopods.

Sephorin
GOD

Post by Sephorin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Kahangriel wrote:My only concern about "mining" is that it could potentially encourage turtling on it.
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:33 pm

Sephorin wrote:
Kahangriel wrote:My only concern about "mining" is that it could potentially encourage turtling on it.
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.
On the other hand, it could encourage the other wizard(s) to attack the wizard "mining" the sprite. I don't know, maybe it's something we should test to see if it works.

NoWorries
GOD

Post by NoWorries » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Mana sprites, I think, are a significant iterative step toward Magic Castles and Fountains of Life (see KS Update #5), Shrines (see KS Update #7), and other arena pickups like Chests and Runestones (see KS Update #16). In this context, I think that the introduction of Mana Sprites is a huge step forward, and I'm excited to see how they can work.

Kahangriel
GOD

Post by Kahangriel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:11 pm

By the way, is there any estimation as to when v0.21 may possibly be released? :D